The following general exclusions apply to all Policy Benefits under Your Policy. These are in addition to any exclusion listed under the individual Policy Benefits of cover.
General Exclusions That Apply To All Benefits
To the extent permissible by law, we will not pay under any circumstances if:
1. You do not act in a responsible way to protect yourself and your property.
2. You not doing everything you can to reduce your loss as much as possible.
3. Your claim arises from consequential loss of any kind, including but not limited to financial loss, loss of enjoyment, or the devaluation or depreciation of currency.
4. Your claim arises from you being aware at the time of purchasing the policy of something that would give rise to you making a claim under this policy.
5. Your claim arises from a loss which is recoverable by compensation under any workers compensation or transport accident laws or by any government sponsored fund, plan, or medical benefit scheme, or any other similar type legislation required to be effected by or under a law.
6. Your claim arises from errors or omissions in any booking arrangements or failure to obtain relevant visa, passport or travel documents.
7. Your claim arises from you acting illegally or breaking any government prohibition, laws or regulation including visa requirements.
8. Your claim arises from a government authority detaining anyone, or confiscating or destroying anything.
9. Your claim arises from the use of a two-wheeled or three-wheeled motor vehicle unless you as the driver or a passenger are wearing a crash helmet (this is irrespective of the law in the country you are in).
10. Your claim arises from a you being in control of a motor vehicle without a current Australian driver licence.
11. Your claim arises from a you being in control of a motorcycle, moped or scooter without a current Australian motorcycle or driver license or you are a passenger travelling on a motorcycle, moped or scooter that is in the control of a person who does not hold a current motorcycle or driver’s licence valid for the country you are travelling in.
12. Your claim arises from you being in control of a recreational all-terrain vehicle (including but not limited to quad-bikes, trikes and buggies) or are a passenger on a recreational all-terrain vehicle unless you:
- are under the direct supervision of a properly licensed recreational organisation, and;
- are obeying all relevant safety codes; and
- are wearing protective gloves and a motorcycle rider’s helmet
13. Your claim arises from or is related to or is associated with:
- an actual or likely epidemic or pandemic; or
- the threat of an epidemic or pandemic. Refer to who.int and smartraveller.gov.au for further information on epidemics and pandemics.
14. Your claim arises from a you not following advice in the mass media or any government or other official body’s warning:
- of a strike, riot, bad weather, civil protest or contagious disease (including an epidemic or pandemic); or
- against travel to a particular country or parts of a country, including where an advice or warning has been released by the Australian Government Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade indicating “Do not travel” or warning to “Reconsider your need to travel” or otherwise advising against all non-essential travel to or in that location or advising against specific transport arrangements or participation in specific events or activities; and
- you did not take appropriate action to avoid or minimise any potential claim under your policy (including delay of travel to the country or part of the country referred to in the warning). Refer to who.int and smartraveller.gov.au for further information.
15. Your claim arises from any act of war, whether war is declared or not, or from any rebellion, revolution, insurrection or taking of power by the military.
16. Your claim arises from a nuclear reaction or contamination from nuclear weapons or radioactivity.
17. Your claim arises from a biological and/or chemical materials, substances, compounds or the like used directly or indirectly for the purpose to harm or to destroy human life and/or create public fear.
18. Your claim arises from any search and rescue costs charged to you by a government, regulated authority or private organisation connected with finding and rescuing an individual.
19. Your claim arises from or is related to or is associated with any Pre-existing Medical Condition, except as described under the heading “Pre-existing Medical Conditions” on pages 24 to 27 of the PDS or to the extent specifically contemplated under Benefit 5 – Trip Cancellation Expenses, Benefit 6 – Trip Disruption Expenses, or Benefit 7 – Trip Resumption Expenses.
20. Your claim arises from you taking a blood-thinning prescription medication, including but not limited to Warfarin (also known under the brand names Coumadin, Jantoven, Marevan, and Waran).
21. Your claim arises from or is in respect of travel booked or undertaken against the advice of any medical practitioner.
22. Your claim arises from any injury or sickness where a diagnosis of metastatic cancer (spreading malignant cancer) was given or terminal prognosis was made prior to the issue of the Certificate of Insurance.
23. Your claim arises from or is associated with pregnancy, childbirth or related complications except as specified under “Pregnancy” on page 27 of the PDS.
24. Your claim arises from or involves a hospital where you are being treated for addiction to drugs or alcohol, or are using it as a nursing, convalescent or rehabilitation place.
25. Your claim arises from or involves the cost of medication in use at the time the trip began or the cost for maintaining a course of treatment you were on prior to the trip.
26. Your claim arises from or is in any way related to depression, anxiety, stress, mental illness, mental or nervous conditions.
27. Your claim arises from:
- your, your spouse or partner, relative or your travelling companion’s suicide or attempted suicide; or
- your, your spouse or partner, relative or your travelling companion injuring yourself deliberately or putting yourself in danger (unless you are trying to save a human life).
28. Your claim arises from a sexually transmitted disease.
29. Your claim arises directly or indirectly from you, your partner, or your travelling companion using alcohol or drugs (unless the drugs have been prescribed by your medical practitioner).
30. You, your partner, or your travelling companion are affected by Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome (AIDS)or AIDS related complex (ARC) or Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV).
31. Despite our advice otherwise following your call to us, you received private hospital or medical treatment where public funded services or care is available in Australia or under any Reciprocal Health Agreement between the Government of Australia and the government of any other country.
32. Your claim arises from any medical procedures in relation to AICD/ICD insertion during overseas trip. We will exercise our right to organise a repatriation to Australia for this procedure to be completed if you, your travelling companion or a relative (as listed on your Certificate of Insurance) requires this procedure due to sudden and acute onset which occurs for the first time during your period of insurance and it is not directly or indirectly related to a Pre-existing Medical Condition.
33. Your claim arises from or is any way related to the death or hospitalisation of any person aged 85 years and over (other than the insured), regardless of the country in which they live.
34. Your claim arises from or relates to any event or occurrence where providing such cover would result in us contravening the Health Insurance Act 1973 (Cth), the Private Health Insurance Act 2007 (Cth) or the National Health Act 1953 (Cth) (as amended or superseded).
35. Your claim arises from you racing or participating in any race or timed activity (other than on foot).
36. Your claim arises from you participating in any snow sports unless you have purchased the Snow Sport Plus Policy if travelling internationally or the Domestic Plus Policy if travelling within Australia.
37. Your claim arises from you participating in any sports or recreational activities not listed in the Automatically Covered Sports and Leisure Activities list (page 14 of the PDS), except as provided under the Adventure Pack (page 20 of the PDS) if you have purchased the Adventure Pack option.
38. Your claim arises from you participating in professional sport in a professional capacity of any kind.