Travel Insurance for domestic travellers
Even though you're covered by Medicare or your private health insurer for medical expenses in Australia, a domestic travel insurance policy can provide cover for a wide variety of different situations.
Australia is a large and diverse country with a wide range of sights and experiences to offer. Whether you plan to travel to see the Blue Mountains, get a taste of Tasmania, or dive at the Great Barrier Reef in far-north Queensland, you should make sure you have domestic travel insurance to provide protection for you and your family during your holiday Down Under.
Who should get Domestic Plus travel insurance?
Fast Cover can provide great value travel insurance for you and your family to travel anywhere within Australia, including Norfolk Island, Christmas Island, Thursday Island and the Cocos (Keeling) Islands.
A Domestic Plus travel insurance policy is ideal for:
- Families taking an interstate road trip to visit family or friends
- Couples on a romantic weekend getaway
- Backpackers working their way around the country
- Students on a mid-semester island escape to Fraser Island or the Whitsundays
- Business travellers flying interstate for a conference or work commitments
- Retired couples taking a bus tour or river cruise
- Adventurers going four-wheel-driving and camping in remote locations
- Divers heading out to the Great Barrier Reef of Ningaloo Reef
- Visitors to Norfolk Island, Thursday Island or Christmas Island
There’s also no age limit for our Domestic Plus travel insurance policies, so get your free quote online today or talk to us if you need help finding insurance that suits you.
What does Domestic Plus travel insurance include?
As you’ll be travelling within Australia, your health expenses are already covered by Medicare or your private health insurance.
However, there are still things that can go wrong other than injuries or sickness, and it’s better to be prepared for any unexpected situations which could turn a dream holiday Down Under into a nightmare.
Our Domestic Plus policy comes with a wide range of benefits so you can embrace the opportunities that are available to you when travelling around Australia including skiing, hiking, diving and driving!
It has all the inclusions we think you might need, such as:
- Cover for cancellation of your holiday due to an unexpected illness or injury
- Expenses incurred if your travel companion is sick or injured
- Expenses incurred if your trip is delayed or you miss a connecting flight
- Cover for your ski and snowboarding equipment and prepaid ski passes
- Cover for the loss, theft or accidental damage of luggage and personal items
- Cover for the Rental Vehicle Excess if you're hiring a car or campervan
- Personal liability insurance
- Accidental death insurance
The Domestic Plus policy can also be further tailored to suit your trip with optional add-ons like the Adventure Pack and High Value Item cover.
See the table below for more information about what's included under each benefit:
Do you need travel insurance for an Australian cruise?
Cruises are increasingly popular among Australians of all ages.
Many choose international destinations, but there are also many great cruise options closer to home around Australia and the Pacific Islands.
A lot of travellers don't realise this, but even if your cruise is in domestic waters, your private health insurance may no longer provide medical cover as soon as you board the ship.
Medicare will also only cover you if the doctor onboard is registered with Medicare. In the majority of cases, this is unlikely to be the case, so if you got sick or injured while cruising, you may find yourself out of pocket for the full cost of medical treatment.
Being out at sea also means that if you needed urgent medical treatment for a broken bone or a serious illness, you would have to be evacuated from the ship by helicopter to the nearest land hospital.
A medical evacuation can be very expensive and would also be at your own expense unless you’re covered by travel insurance with medical evacuation cover included.
For these reasons, cruise companies recommend travel insurance for all travellers, regardless of where your cruise is going or whether it’s leaving Australian waters or not.
Why choose Fast Cover for your domestic travel insurance?
- We don’t require you to fill in a medical assessment form when you take out a policy.
- Our user-friendly website makes buying insurance online fast and simple.
- Our Domestic Plus policy includes extra benefits at an affordable price.
- We automatically cover for unexpected delays and to ensure you reach your special event on time.
- We automatically include Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance up to $5,000 AUD.
- Our Emergency Assistance team is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year to assist you.
|Such a good insurance company
After having insured with Fast Cover many times I find the policy is of excellent value, and so easy to set up online. I have recommended this company to many of my friends as I am extremely satisfied with how friendly and helpful they are.
Mim – Productreview.com.au
|Comprehensive travel insurance
We have used Fast Cover many times and find this company in particular good value for money and cover all the items we need as senior travellers.
Rainy – Productreview.com.au
The policy was very well priced and options were available so I could tailor what I purchased to my needs. I set it up online, paid and had confirmation and printable paperwork in less than 15 minutes. On the occasion I needed to make a claim, this was dealt with quickly and satisfactorily by helpful telephone assistants. I continue to buy my travel insurance from Fast Cover.
Sandy – Productreview.com.au