Travel Alert: Cover excluded for COVID-19 except AUS/NZ with optional COVID-19 Pack or selected countries with "Do Not Travel" advice.

Working Holiday Travel Insurance

Travelling for work? Purchasing travel insurance to cover you while you are clocked on and clocked off.

Travel insurance for travellers on a working holiday 

Travelling internationally means leaving behind Australian Medicare benefits, so it's essential to take out working holiday travel insurance before you head off overseas.

Whether you're headed to Canada on the IEC program to work the snow season, teaching English in Southeast Asia, volunteering in Africa, or working at a summer camp in the United States, a working holiday is a fantastic way of sustaining your travels or topping up your bank account for your next overseas adventure. 

Fast Cover’s working holiday travel insurance provides cover from one day up to one year initially, with the option of extending your policy up to two years if you're having too much fun overseas or want to keep working and travelling!

Who should get working holiday travel insurance?

If you're a digital nomad or business traveller, working internationally is probably a regular part of your job. Otherwise, perhaps you just want to experience living and working in a different country, or add impressive skills to your resume by getting a job, internship, or volunteering overseas.

Travellers of any age who plan to go overseas for a week, month, or up to two years can get working holiday travel insurance with Fast Cover. 

Regardless of the type of work you’ll be doing, you can be covered. This includes office work, teaching, nursing, trades, hospitality, retail, conservation, farm work and also volunteering.

You’ll be covered for both the times that you’re working as well as your days off and any travel in between!

Fast Cover's working holiday travel insurance is ideal if you're:

  • Working the snow season at a ski resort on the International Experience Canada program
  • Working as a camp counselor or guide at an American summer camp
  • Taking advantage of the Youth Mobility Scheme in the United Kingdom for up to two years
  • A backpacker who plans to pick up odd jobs here and there while travelling
  • Working remotely on your own business while travelling
  • A student taking an internship or overseas work placement opportunity
  • Going on a business trip or attending a conference overseas
  • Taking advantage of an ancestry visa
  • A dual passport holder visiting another country
  • Volunteering overseas

No matter where you're headed or what kind of work you're doing, we've made buying travel insurance for your working holiday as fast and simple as possible.

Why do I need working holiday travel insurance?

There are a few steps involved in finding the travel insurance you need for your working holiday.

We've put together a list you can follow to understand how travel insurance will assist you on your trip:

1) Read the Consular Services Charter before you leave

The Consular Services Charter explains the way in which the Australian Government can assist you while you’re overseas, as well as the areas where their assistance is limited.

They recommend you travel with comprehensive travel insurance including emergency medical and hospital cover, as medical costs overseas can be extremely high.

2) Check whether you’re covered by your employer

If you’ve already organised employment overseas, check if your employer provides insurance and what this insurance covers. You may still require your own insurance for medical expenses, theft and damage to belongings and cancellations to travel plans.

You may also find that your employer's insurance only covers you while you're on the clock. They may not cover you if you get injured or something happens during your days off.

3) Know what activities you might do overseas

There are so many activities you can do overseas, but some of these may not be covered by travel insurance.

For example, if you’re injured in a motorcycle accident or fall and break a bone while horse riding, you must have these activities covered by your insurance to be able to make a claim. If they’re not covered, you’ll have to personally foot the bill for any medical costs which can be in the hundreds of thousands of dollars.

To make it fast and simple for you, Fast Cover covers a huge list of non-contact activities including bungee jumping, snorkelling, hiking and horse riding.

If you want to do more adventurous activities like quad biking, trekking above 3,000 metres or walking the Kokoda Trail, our Adventure Pack add-on will make sure that you don’t miss out.

What are the benefits of working holiday travel insurance?

Every working traveller has different priorities, but some of the main benefits you might want to look for in a travel insurance policy for your working holiday include:

  • 24 Hour Emergency Medical Assistance
  • Overseas Emergency Medical and Hospital Expenses
  • Emergency Evacuation and Repatriation Expenses
  • Cover for Luggage and Personal Belongings
  • Cover for 43 Pre-Existing Medical Conditions

Remember that it's important to compare the different benefits and exclusions when shopping around for a travel insurance policy for your working holiday, not just the price.

Fast Cover offers several different levels of cover for you to choose from so you can cover all the things that are most important to you without blowing your travel budget:

  • Basics
  • Standard Saver
  • Comprehensive
  • Snow Sports Plus

See the benefits tables below for more details about what each policy offers:

Travelling together on a working holiday?

If you’re travelling with a partner, spouse, friend or relative, you can save by getting a working holiday travel insurance policy together.

Travellers on a Duo policy get a 5% discount and 50% off your excess reduction.

Optional extras for travel insurance

Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance

If you’re planning on hiring a car or campervan so you’re more mobile while you’re overseas, you can choose Rental Vehicle Excess Insurance of $5,000 or $8,000.

This provides cover for the excess the rental company would charge you in the event of an accident or damage to the vehicle, up to the specified amount.

If you're hiring a car within Australia we've already included Rental Vehicle Excess up to $5,000.

Motorcycle Pack

Riding a moped, scooter or motorcycle is a fantastic way to see the sights on your days off. Add the optional Motorcycle Pack to your policy, make sure you comply with the licensing requirements and you're ready to go!

Adventure Pack

We cover a huge list of non-contact sports and activities like horse riding, snorkelling, indoor rock climbing and safari. But if you plan on more adventurous activities such as abseiling, quad biking, skydiving, or trekking above 3,000 metres, make sure you add on our Adventure Pack so you’ll be ready for action!

Increased cover for High Value Items:

If you’re going to be working overseas for a long period of time, you're probably taking more valuable items than the average backpacker or holidaymaker. These may include things like laptop computers, tablets, GoPro cameras or video recording equipment.

Our policies provide generous limits on the things that you take on your travels.

If you've got a valuable item and want to make sure you have extra cover for it, you can specify it as a High Value Item on your insurance certificate by paying an additional amount when you purchase the policy.

Specifying High Value Items on your travel insurance policy also 'locks in' their current value, so there's no depreciation applied if you need to make a claim for a lost, stolen or damaged item.

Optional cover for skiing, snowboarding and snow sports:

If you’re going to be skiing, snowboarding, or working at a ski resort, choose our Snow Sports Plus policy.

It has all the top benefits of our Comprehensive policy, as well as cover for emergency medical evacuation and hospital expenses if you're injured on the slopes, plus cover for your snow gear and equipment and reimbursement for piste closure due to bad weather.

There's also cover for prepaid lift passes or the unused portion of your ski package if you get sick or injured and can't continue skiing.


Why choose Fast Cover travel insurance for your next working holiday?

Fast Cover’s working holiday travel insurance is designed to cover you in many of the different situations and emergencies you might experience while working overseas.

You can travel with confidence knowing that you’re covered for the whole time you’re away and if an emergency does occur, you have access to prompt and professional help from our 24 hour Emergency Assistance team.

They’re available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, anywhere in the world.

Compare our working holiday travel insurance and you’ll find that we provide a competitive price for great cover.

It’s affordable travel insurance made fast and simple!

Example Incidents~

Hannah's Hospital Shock

Hannah, an 18-year-old snowboarder from Coffs Harbour, was on a two-year working holiday in Canada when she was admitted to hospital with severe abdominal pain. Tests found she had an inflammatory bowel disease which required immediate treatment. The Fast Cover emergency assistance team liaised with hospital staff to manage Hannah's medical care and acted as a guarantor for the costs of her treatment. Hannah's travel insurance policy, which also provided cover for skiing and snowboarding, set her back just over $1,000 but covered $48,000 AUD worth of medical treatment and her recovery in hospital.


Penny's Policy Pays Off Twice!

Penny and her boyfriend took out a Duo policy with snow sports cover for a working holiday in Canada. However, just a few weeks into their trip, Penny woke up with severe pain in her jaw. A dentist confirmed that she required surgery to extract a wisdom tooth at a cost of around $500 USD. Penny contacted the emergency assistance team and followed their advice, sending off her receipts and documentation for the dental surgery which was fully reimbursed. Unfortunately that was not the end of their troubles overseas, as Penny's boyfriend's mother also unexpectedly passed away. Fast Cover covered their flights to Australia for the funeral, as well as return flights to Canada at around $2,200 AUD each.


~Traveller details have been changed to protect their privacy. Claims examples are from Fast Cover travel insurance customers from 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2016.

Traveller Testimonials

Hassle free insurance

Had a damaged suitcase which was only a few months old. Fast payment following lodgement of the claim. Would have no hesitation in recommending them.

Kim –


Terrific cover

The policy was great value and really easy to set up, no hassles. Claiming for medical expenses after an altercation with a bus was dealt with quickly and easily, being able to submit online.

Chris –


Fast Cover great value and price

Have used Fast Cover many times and always have found them easy and efficient with no hassles. Great communication. Great value on cover, easy to understand and to apply and pay.

Brenda –


↟Based on 365 day Basics policy to New Zealand region for a single traveller 50 years old or younger with $200 excess.

FAQs Working Holiday Travel Insurance

Cover is only available if:
  • You currently reside in Australia 
  • You hold a valid Australian Medicare card (if you are a temporary visitor, then you must be covered in Australia by a private health insurance policy that satisfies the Australian government health insurance requirements for your visa type); 
  • You purchase your policy before you commence your trip or you satisfy all of the requirements for purchasing a policy while you are already overseas; 
  • For temporary visitors, your visa remains valid beyond the period of your return; and 
  • Your trip starts and ends in Australia; and 
  • You are aged 89 years and under. 
For temporary residents of Australia, cover is available, however, only if: 
  • You are a non-permanent resident who holds a valid Medicare card or are covered by an Australian Private Health Insurance policy that satisfies the government health insurance requirements for your visa type; and 
  • You have a home in Australia to which you intend to return; and
  • Your trip starts and ends in Australia; and 
  • You hold a return ticket to Australia; and 
  • You are aged 89 years and under
For travellers already overseas:

You can purchase our Standard Saver, Comprehensive and Snow Sport Plus policies if you are already overseas, provided you meet all of the following requirements: 

  • You have 
    • been overseas for less than 14 days, or 
    • have been insured under a travel insurance policy since you left Australia that is current or has been expired for no more than 14 days; and 
  • You are an Australian citizen or resident normally residing in Australia; and 
  • You hold a valid Australian Medicare card; and 
  • You have a home to which you intend to return; and 
  • Your trip ends in Australia; and 
  • You are aged 74 years and under at time of purchase; and 
  • You advise us at the time of purchase that you are already overseas (this will be noted on your Certificate of Insurance). 

Conditions for Already Overseas policies:

  • You cannot purchase a Basics Policy or Frequent Traveller Saver Policy if you are already overseas. 
  • Temporary visitors (i.e. on a tourist visa) or individuals on an Australian temporary residence visa including those on a working holiday visa are not eligible to purchase this policy after departing Australia. 
  • Policies purchased while you are already overseas are subject to: 
    • A 48-hour no-cover period applies to all benefits (there is no cover under any section of the policy for any event that arises within the first 48 hours of purchasing your policy). 
    • A $500 excess for all claims. 
  • In the event of a medical repatriation from overseas, we will return you to Australia. 
  • Medical expenses incurred once you have returned to Australia are not covered on this policy. 
  • It is therefore important that you ensure you have access to long term medical care in Australia.
  • If you are not an Australian resident or do not satisfy the above conditions, you cannot buy a Travel Insurance policy. If you do, it will be INVALID. Please contact our affiliate Aussie Travel Cover* on 02 9998 7854 and they may be able to offer you a non-Australian resident travel insurance policy.

Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

*Fast Cover Pty Ltd receives a commission from Aussie Travel Cover for each referred policy.

You can choose from the following Policies:

  • Comprehensive
  • Standard Saver
  • Basics
  • Domestic Plus*#
  • Frequent Traveller Saver
  • Snow Sports Plus#

Further detail about the Policies can be found in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

*you will not have cover under certain Policy Sections while travelling in Australia - see the 'Geographical Regions' page of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for more detail.

#unless you purchase the Domestic Plus or Snow Sports Plus policies, you will not have cover for any claims arising from snow sport activities - see the General Exclusions of the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for more detail.

Yes, you are covered for both your working and non-working hours. 

  • You would NOT be covered under the Loss of Income Benefit or any loss which is recoverable by compensation for an overseas job.

Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Read more about working holiday travel insurance:

Yes, as long as you are not performing any dangerous activities.

You should always follow the Australian Government's warnings regarding traveling to unsafe places.

Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Contact the Worldwide 24/7 Emergency Assistance team straight away and provide the details as to why you need medical assistance. 

The Worldwide 24/7 Emergency Assistance team can assess the situation and work out what would need to be done and if required, assist you to find ways to pay any amount.

Read more about travelling with medical conditions:

You are free to choose your own doctor or we can appoint an approved medical practitioner to see you, unless you are treated under a Reciprocal Health Agreement. 

You must, however, advise us of your admittance to hospital or your early return to Australia based on written medical advice. 

If you don't get the medical treatment you expect, we can assist you, however we are not liable for any problems that result from you choosing your own doctor.

Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

For emergency assistance anywhere in the world at any time, the Worldwide 24/7 Emergency Assistance team is only a telephone call away.

The team will help with medical problems, locating nearest medical facilities, your evacuation home, locating nearest embassies and consulates, as well as keeping you in touch with your family and work in an emergency.

If you are hospitalised, then you or a member of your travelling party, must contact us as soon as possible. Our emergency assistance team is available 24 hours a day every day. They can help you with medical problems, locating the nearest medical facilities, bringing you home if medically necessary, locating embassies and consulates and liaising with loved ones and work colleagues if necessary. 

If you do not contact us when you require emergency assistance when it is reasonably possible to do so, then to the extent permissible by law, we may not pay for these expenses or for any evacuation or airfares that have not been approved or arranged by us. 

If you are not hospitalised but you are being treated as an outpatient and the total cost of such treatment will exceed $2,000 you must contact us. 

You are free to choose your own doctor or we can appoint an approved medical practitioner to see you, unless you are treated under a Reciprocal Health Agreement. You must, however, advise us of your admittance to hospital or your early return to Australia based on written medical advice. If you do not get the medical treatment you expect, we can assist you, however we may not be able to help you for any problems that result from you choosing your own medical practitioner.


We will not pay for any hospital or medical costs incurred in Australia.

For more information, refer to our Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Yes, you can upgrade to the Snow Sports Plus policy while you are travelling by paying the difference in price.

Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement (PDS).

Things you need to know

* See Product Disclosure Statement and the COVID-19 Pack Document for full terms and conditions and exclusions and limits that apply. For travellers aged 80 and over, additional terms and conditions, limits and excesses apply.

# Available with our Comprehensive policies only.

** No cover is provided for pregnancy, childbirth or related complications unless it is a single, uncomplicated pregnancy up to and including 23 weeks. In any event we will not pay medical expenses for regular antenatal care, childbirth at any gestation or care of the newborn child. Complications mean any secondary diagnosis occurring prior to, during the course of, concurrent with, or as a result of the pregnancy, which may adversely affect the pregnancy outcome.

+ Statistics based on 'Travel by Australians' quarterly report for June 2013, 'Tourism Industry Facts & Figures at a Glance' September 2012, Cruise Industry Source Market Report: Australia 2013 and Fast Cover Customers.

2 5% saving is based on the cost of a Duo policy versus the cost of two single policies. Excess reduction discount based on excess reduction cost under a Duo policy versus cost under two single policies. Duo policies do not provide cover for any dependent children.

3 Children or dependants under 21 years old and not in full time employment covered for free when travelling with an insured adult. Excludes Duo policies.

4 Price based on an 18 day Basics policy to Pacific region for Single traveller aged 50 years old or younger with $200 excess.

5 Additional terms and conditions, limits and excesses apply to travellers aged 80-89.

6 Must be accompanied by a professional instructor or guide.