Why should you buy backpacker travel insurance?
For the simple reason that things may not go to plan.
If something goes wrong while you’re in Australia, you’ve got your family and friends for support, Medicare for medical expenses and local emergency services to help you out.
If something goes wrong overseas? Your usual support network can be a long, long flight away, and most likely in a different time zone! If you have a backpacking travel insurance policy and you need help overseas, our Emergency assistance team are available 24/7 to assist you.
Emergency situations on international backpacking holidays that can occur:
- Lose your passport
- You become sick or injured and require a doctor’s consultation, hospitalisation or at worst, emergency medical repatriation and hospitalisation
- You’re a victim of theft or lose that new camera or GoPro you purchased for the trip
- Have to cancel your backpacking holiday (including any pre-paid flights, tours or accommodation bookings) completely due to unexpected sickness, injury or a death in the family
- Injure yourself while skiing or snowboarding
- Find yourself stranded overseas after your flights are unexpectedly delayed due to bad weather or even a natural disaster, preventing you from returning home as planned (such as in 2017, when thousands of Australian backpackers were stranded in Bali when a volcanic ash cloud ground all flights)
In any of these emergencies, your backpacker travel insurance can:
- Coordinate emergency medical evacuation and repatriation home
- Assess and manage your medical care overseas
- Cover your medical expenses and act as a guarantor for the payment of hospital expenses and medical bills
- Provide assistance with alternative travel and accommodation including organising your flights home
- Direct you to the nearest embassy or consulate
- Provide access to interpreters in non-English speaking hospitals
- Relay messages to your family or employer
- Organise for a registered nurse or family member to accompany you on an emergency flight home
- Provide advice and direction to ensure you’re safe and to mitigate the financial impact of an emergency
The cost of travel insurance for backpackers is incomparable to the thousands of dollars you would potentially have to pay for emergency hospitalisation expenses, medical evacuation or repatriation, replacing lost or stolen luggage or cancellation costs.