Cruises are no longer associated with just the very wealthy or stereotypical elderly travellers. These days, cruises cater to travellers seeking a more affordable and exciting trip by sea. The number of Australians hopping on board a cruise ship every year has increased dramatically, with the Cruise Lines Industry Association revealing that the number of cruising travellers has grown by more than 20 per cent in the past year. In 2014, over a million Aussies took a cruise holiday!
So the question is, where and when are you going on your cruise? With any trip, there’s plenty of planning which also includes the important step of organising travel insurance before you embark on your cruise. You can then sit back, relax and enjoy your holiday afloat knowing you have cover should the unexpected happen.*
Reasons to buy cruise specific insurance
Did you know that you may not be eligible for Medicare once your cruise leaves port even if you’re still in Australian waters? Or that if you unexpectedly get sick and have to cancel your trip you could lose the deposit you’ve made? Our cruise insurance policies provide you with a way to protect yourself, your money and belongings during your trip.
So why get cruise cover? Because:
- Medicare benefits are no longer eligible once your ship leaves port unless there’s a Medicare approved doctor on board.
- Medical costs on board any type of cruise ship can be exorbitant and a medical emergency could see you repatriated to Australia at a great expense
- Your belongings could be lost, stolen or damaged
- There could be an accident at sea
- Your trip could be cancelled due to weather or other reasons and you could lose any money you’ve paid to your travel company
Whether you’re an experienced cruise goer or organising your first trip, get a Fast Quote to find a policy that protects you.
What does Cruise Travel Insurance include?
Our cruise travel insurance covers*:
- Medical expenses: Be covered for unexpected illness or injuries on your holiday.
- Evacuation and repatriation: In case of an emergency, such as illness or injury, you can be covered for the flight home.
- Losses, damage and theft: Ensure your valuable belongings are protected while you travel.
- Interpreters, locating consulates and more: Practical help when you need it most
If you’re combining a tour or side trip on land, don’t worry, cover is provided for that part of your trip too!
We’ve built policies that include all the benefits we think you'll need on your cruise. If you need additional cover for high value items or specific activities, you can add extras to tailor your travel insurance policy.