Get happy in the world's happiest countries

Remember, happiness is where the heart is (and passport).

Get happy in the world's happiest countries

Even if you don't live in one of the 10 happiest countries in the world, a visit to these happy places is always a possibility and will give you a little taste of the locals every day life and what makes them happy.

Here are the top 10 happiest places on Earth, according to the World Happiness Report 2019.

10# Austria 

Why go: From Baroque art and architecture to the rolling hills of the Alps. Austria is a place where you can enjoy the high culture of Europe and see some classic art by Klimt and Mozart in the Kunsthistorisches Museum. Also Grossglockner Road, the home of Sound of Music (the hills are, indeed, alive). You can drive down this 48km road that is reminiscent of the nostalgic movie. 

Notable trait: They have a wicked sense of humour and love dairy!

Happiness meter: 7.246

9# Canada 

Why go: To see the Niagara Falls in Ontario. This may be a short waterfall, not even cracking the top 500 waterfalls for height, but it doesn’t detract from it being a visual delight!

Notable trait: Canadians are known as very progressive, especially with human rights.

Happiness meter: 7.278

8# New Zealand

Why go: Waitangi Treaty Grounds in Paihia, Waitangi & Haruru. This is New Zealand’s most significant historic site.

Notable trait: Known for its laid back nature, New Zealand is a nation where road rage incidents are few and far between and there is little petty crime such as pick pocketing.  

Happiness meter: 7.307

7# Sweden

Why go: To visit Medieval Visby, a town with twisted cobblestone streets and fairy-tale cottages straight out of someone’s vivid imagination.

Notable trait: If nature is your weakness then Sweden is the place for you.  

Happiness meter: 7.343

6# Switzerland

Why go: Surely you have seen the silhouette of the Switzerland Matterhorn, a mountain famous for its shape and difficulty to climb. This mountain is synonymous with Switzerland and the alpine pursuits known for putting Switzerland on the world map for snow sports.

Notable trait: Yodelayheehoo…” yodelling capital of the world.

Happiness meter: 7.480

5# Netherlands

Why go: To be enthralled by the story of The Anne Frank Huis located in Western Canal Ring. 80% of the tickets are released 2 months in advance and the remaining 20% are released on the day. This is worth the experience.

Notable trait: Known for its clogs, windmills and the Amsterdam Tulip Festival.

Happiness meter: 7.488

4# Iceland

Why go: The Blue Lagoon – a geothermal pool in Reykjanes Peninsula. This cyan blue lagoon spa sits in a black lava field. The superheated water is 70% sea water, 30% fresh water at a perfect 38 degrees Celsius.

Notable trait: Icelandic people are on the forefront of equal opportunities for all sexuality and genders. 

Happiness meter: 7.494

3# Norway

Why go: The Aurora Borealis (the Northern Lights). Caused by the solar wind, magnetic poles are ignited by electrons. Worth the effort to see the spectrum of colours your eyes will thank you for.

Notable trait: One of Europe’s most exciting and adventure-based tourism destination.

Happiness meter: 7.554

2# Denmark

Why go: Frederiksborg Slot, Denmark’s most impressive Dutch Renaissance styled palace where you can see the baroque architecture of this ancient castle.

Notable trait: ‘Hygge’ which is a Danish word used to acknowledge a special feeling or moment. It can be alone or with friends, at home or out, ordinary or extraordinary but is always cosy, charming or special.

Happiness meter: 7.600

1# Finland

Why go: If you enjoy hiking and experiencing the great outdoors where the air is fresh, then National Park Hiking, Northern Finland is the activity for you. The good news is you can camp in the park but keep in mind that a map and compass are essential for most of the remote areas of the park.

Notable trait: Most stable, safe and best governed country, according to the UN.

Happiness meter: 7.769


Share now!

Fast Cover - Margretta

About the author

Margretta is a content writer at Fast Cover. Having a background in Design and Fashion, Mags uses her unique flair to educate customers on travel and insurance. You can trust her. She's a 'writer'.

Need affordable travel insurance?