24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance is your security blanket and safety net
Fast Cover offers 24/7 Unlimited* Emergency Medical Assistance, providing you with cover to help in sticky and unforeseen medical emergencies, potentially saving you thousands of dollars.
This cover is available if you choose our Comprehensive, Standard Saver, Basics, Snow Sports Plus and Frequent Traveller Saver policies. Our 24/7 Emergency Assistance number can be contacted from anywhere in the world, any time, 24 hours 7 days a week.
In 2016/2017, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade provided consular assistance to almost 12 500 Australians. Compared to the over 10 million Australians who travelled overseas, this number could seem inconsequential, but this is just a fraction of Australians who were helped by travel insurance companies. Those who are assisted by DFAT, typically are those who don't have travel insurance. In 2016/17, DFAT assisted:
- 1701 Australians that were hospitalised
- 14 Australians who had to be evacuated to another location for medical purposes
- 2546 Australians who could not be contacted by their next of kin and were missing overseas
- 4447 Australians who contacted the consulate for help and guidance
The good news is the chances of anything happening to you on your holiday are unlikely. But what you shouldn’t forget though, is that while the chances of something happening on your trip are quite small, the consequences if something should happen, certainly are not. Unfortunately, the bad news is, the unexpected does happen, we see it happen every day. Furthermore, the costs can spiral out of control relatively quickly in overseas hospitals.
What to do if you are in an emergency while overseas
If you suffer from serious illness or are injured while travelling the most important step is to call our 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance team as quickly as possible!
24/7 Emergency Assistance numbers are on our website and on your Certificate of Insurance. Explain your situation to the Emergency Assistance team and follow their advice. It is important to follow their advice, if advice is not followed, we may not be able to assist you to the best of our abilities or cover any of the costs you incur.
However unlikely accidents may be, the consequences of something happening is very real and can impact your life forever. From debt to bad care to no care at all, anything can happen if you have to go to an overseas hospital. Our 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance offers you a team and network of professionals who know how to navigate sensitive situations to make sure there is assistance to bring you home safe and healthy.
How 24/7 Overseas Emergency Medical Assistance works
Fast Cover has a specialised team that consists of medical consultants such as doctors, nurses, medical staff and other rescue professionals on hand 24/7 to assist. In the event of a medical emergency, Fast Cover’s 24/7 Emergency Assistance team can be reached via phone and email. If you are unable to reach them by phone, send them an email requesting a call-back.
What is an Emergency?
An emergency is any situation that needs immediate attention because it is causing, has caused or is likely to cause harm to yourself and/or others. This could be a medical emergency like breaking your leg, multiple people in a car accident or a dangerous situation emergency like being stuck in natural disaster like a hurricane.
What can you contact 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance for?
You should contact our 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance if:
- You have to go to hospital
- You are being treated as an outpatient and the treatment cover is over $2000
- You need any medical treatment within the United States of America
- Falling seriously ill or injured at any point of your trip (even if it’s when you are returning)
- You need any sort of medical assistance
- In the event of a motor vehicle accident
- Breaking or injuring your body or someone else
You can contact Emergency Assistance for medical non-emergencies such as:
- If your flights have been cancelled leaving you stranded where there is no reasonable means of finding your way
- If you have been robbed, assaulted or need assistance
- Being in a dangerous and fatal situation such as a flooding town
10 Emergency Assistance steps you need to know
1. To help us help you, make sure you have the the following information ready before contacting us.
- Your Policy number
- Your full name
- A contact number at your destination
- Your location
- A brief rundown of your situation: what has happened, what assistance you have already received and what you need
- Names and phone numbers of any persons (family, friends, work) you would like us to contact
2. Contact the emergency Assistance Team by phoning +61 2 8320 7999.
3. If it is not possible to contact them by phone, email email@example.com and provide a return phone number for them to call you.
4. An emergency assistance team member will ask you for the information in step 1.
5. A case will be opened in our system to document your situation.
6. You will be asked a series of further questions based on the information you have provided or information we need to help you.
7. Your case will either be managed directly by that team member or you will be transferred to an appropriate specialist such as a doctor as required.
8. We will provide assistance with the appropriate 'next steps' for your particular case which could be:
- Organise your transport to the nearest and safest hospital
- Liaising with hospitals and medical practitioners to ensure you receive the care you require
- Guaranteeing payments for medical procedures for events we accept as claimable
- Communication between medical professionals, yourself and loved ones
- Managing your medical repatriation back to Australia
9. Once your situation is resolved, your Emergency Assistance case will be closed
10. If there are any out of pocket expenses, you should then lodge a claim
What Emergency Medical Assistance can assist with
Most travellers going on a trip have the same thought in their heads: ‘Surely it won’t happen to me’. While it’s always best to have a positive outlook, when it comes to travelling you should back that positive outlook up with another plan - a plan of how to deal with the unexpected. What if you do run into trouble or have an accident?
If you become sick or injured overseas and your sickness is deemed claimable , our worldwide expert 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance provides:
- Prompt access to a medical practitioner for emergency medical treatment while you are still overseas.
- Organising your medical transfer or evacuation to the nearest and safest hospital for emergency medical treatment
- Repatriation to Australia for appropriate medical assistance.
- Notifying your family or employer of your situation.
- Sending messages to your family or employer for current status and updates.
- Written guarantees for reasonable expenses for emergency hospitalisation while you are overseas.
- Return travel to Australia for your dependants if they are left without supervision following your hospitalisation or evacuation.
- Arranging a translator over the phone. This does not include legal documents.
Additional emergency assistance services offered
- Advising on policy entitlements and exclusions
- Liaising with Australian authorities, DFAT and local embassies
- Providing access to our lawyer for general advice
- Recommending or sourcing a local lawyer if one is required
- Assisting with obtaining any required information
- Acting as a communication gateway and message relay service
What Emergency Medical Assistance can NOT assist with
There are some limitations to our 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance we can provide with your travel insurance. We do NOT provide emergency assistance:
- For transportation of your remains or medical evacuation from Australia to an overseas country
- If you are in jail
- For urgent legal matters
- You are detained by a government authority
- You are detained at an airport
Alternative assistance options in these situations
Overseas 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance benefit limits
Depending on the type of policy you take out, the following Medical limits apply:
|Up to 64||65 - 69||70 - 79||80 - 89||90 - 99|
|Snow Sports Plus||Unlimited*||Unlimited*||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|Frequent Traveller Saver||Unlimited*||N/A||N/A||N/A||N/A|
What if it’s not an emergency?
Fast Cover’s 24/7 Emergency Medical Assistance team is focused on helping our travellers in emergency situations. You do not need to contact the Emergency Assistance team in the following types of situations:
- If your Medical claim will be less than $2000 and you have NOT received medical treatment in the United States of America and you require no further assistance
- For damage, loss or theft of your personal effects or luggage. You should report the incident to a relevant authority as soon as practicable, but preferably within 24 hours (police, hotel, airline, cruise company, tour guide etc) and obtain a copy of the report.
- Submit a claim with supporting documentation within 30 days of your return or at your earliest convenience.
- If you have questions or require assistance, contact our Travel Insurance Specialists or our Claims team.
*Exclusions, limits and sub-limits may apply. Cover is subject to the policy terms, conditions, limits and exclusions in the Product Disclosure Statement.