We are aware that transport services in France are currently disrupted due to industrial strike action. The following information concerns those affected by these strikes.
If you entered into your policy before 8am (AEST) Thursday 2 June 2016:
If you are currently travelling:
- If you have started your journey and your transport is delayed or cancelled due to the industrial strike action in France, there may be provision to claim for reasonable additional travel, accommodation and meal expenses.
- Limits, conditions and exclusions apply under your policy and for full details you should refer to the Product Disclosure Statement and Certificate of Insurance you received when you purchased your travel insurance.
If you have not yet departed:
- If your pre-booked travel arrangements are cancelled, delayed or rescheduled as a result of the industrial strike action in France and you have not yet departed, you may be able to claim for cancellation or rearrangement of your journey (whichever is the lesser).
- We recommend you contact your travel agent or travel provider regarding the best option in altering your trip. Some travel providers may provide penalty free options to amend travel arrangements and we recommend you contact them for further details.
If you entered into a policy after 8am (AEST) Thursday 2 June 2016:
- Our policies do not cover claims for losses caused by something that you were aware of at the time of purchasing your policy. If you entered into a policy after 8am (AEST) Thursday 2 June 2016 we would expect that this was done with an awareness of the industrial strike action in France. For these policies, we will not, to the extent permitted by law, pay any claim caused by or arising from or in any way connected with the industrial strike action in France.
What next steps should you take?
- You should take all reasonable steps to minimise your expenses and this includes rearranging your journey where possible. By reasonable we mean appropriate and consistent—for example if you have been using two star or budget accommodation on your trip to date, then we advise that the replacement accommodation you seek should be of a similar standard.
- We will assess your claim under the terms and conditions of your travel insurance policy. If you have a Cancellation only policy, your policy does not include cover for any additional expenses. If you have a Budget policy, please refer to your Product Disclosure Statement (PDS) for the precise benefits covered.